Saturday, October 1, 2011

Good-bye, Rachel

The missionary women of Musoma!  (And no, we did not intentionally coordinate our outfits for the picture.)
This morning all the missionary women of Musoma gathered for a farewell brunch for Rachel Workentine, a translation advisor here at the Mara Cluster.  She's been in Musoma since 2008, but she and I become good friends back in 2004.  We were assigned to be roommates our very first semester of grad school, and we liked each other so much that we just kept on living together for the next two years!  (Side note: we have the same personality, according to Myers-Briggs, and as anyone who has ever been around us much can testify, it shows.)  We lived in three different places during those two years, but we always shared a bedroom and usually we had all of our classes together each semester, too, so we saw a LOT of each other during that time.  At the time we had no inkling that we'd end up together later in Africa - I know it looks like we planned things this way, but it really did just kind of happen!  It's been so wonderful to get to have a close friend here in Musoma, someone who has known me for longer than just a year or two, someone who has met my family and has some shared history with me.  I'm really going to miss Rachel.


Rachel and me this morning at brunch

Shannon (our other housemate in grad school), Rachel, and me in Banff in 2005


No comments:

Post a Comment