Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Indiana County Fair 2014

Andrew's office (Penn State Extension of Indiana County) does a lot with the county fair. One day he came home with his fair book, basically a big list of everything one could enter in the fair. He said, "Hey, why don't you enter something?"

I said, "What am I going to do, raise a lamb on our apartment porch in a mere four weeks?!"

To which he replied, "You can bake some cookies. You make great cookies."

And so my first-ever fair experience began! I made a lot of test batches, got friends from church to sample various options for me, and became rather excited about the whole thing. I read food blogs about cookies, experimented with recipes, and finally came up with what I thought was the perfect oatmeal raisin cookie. And when I baked them the day entries were due, they came out perfectly! And as a little side bonus, I made a cake, too, just for fun. These fine specimens got entered in the fair:


End result: Nothin' at all for the cookies, and the cake got second place. That was exciting at first, but then I realized that there were only two entries in that particular cake category! Oh well - maybe next year!

And I wasn't the only one who got into the fair - Zarya thought it was a pretty amazing place. She toured all of the animal barns admiring pigs, cattle, horses, and chickens. The poultry barn was the surprise hit - she thought they were pretty fun, with all of that squawking:


I thought the entire fair experience was really fun. Everything seemed pretty clean and well-maintained, and although there were a lot of people there, it didn't feel crowded. We went to a rabbit show, horse show, swine show, dairy show, photography exhibit, home economics exhibition, Christmas tree display, and harness racing. It was just plain fun! Oh, and they even had a kiddie barn, which Zarya loved. Her favorite activity there was digging around in corn with toy tractors and shovels:


We're all looking forward to the fair next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment