Sunday, March 28, 2010

Cooking in Musoma

So, how many creative things you make with tomatoes, onions, green peppers, and garlic? It seems that just about every meal I make has these four basic Musoma staples in some combination or other. For salsa, they are chopped finely and seasoned with a little hot pepper, lime, and salt. For stirfry, they are sauteed together. For soup, they get sauteed and then boiled. After a while, everything I make here starts to taste the same!

Since I now have the additional motivation of cooking for someone other than just myself, I'm trying to make a more concerted effort to make appealing meals. Earlier this week I invented a Musoma variation of Thai stirfry, which turned out well enough to make it for guests on Saturday! Spaghetti noodles on the bottom substituted for Thai stirfry noodles. Stirfried green beans, green peppers, carrots, and onions were layered on top of that. Some nice (tough) Musoma beef was stirfried and layered over that (I used scrambled eggs for the guests, which worked well, too). Finally, I whipped up some peanut sauce to top it all off. Peanut butter, lime, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sugar, hot chili sauce, water, coconut milk, vinegar, and a little bit of the one Thai sauce available in Kenya, and voila! Thai Peanut stirfry over noodles, ready to go.

Today I did some Indian-themed cooking for us. My trusty friends, garlic, green pepper, onion, and tomoato, joined up again for some stirfry action. With the addition of lentils (which are different here than in the States), carrots, lime, ginger, salt, and garam masala spice mix, voila! Indian lentil dish ready to spoon over potatoes.

Fortunately, Andrew likes garlic, green pepper, tomatoes (cooked only!), and onion. Carrots and green beans make a good addition most all the time, too. Hey, food here might be limited in variety, but I'm determined to make some interesting meals for us out of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment