Saturday, December 3, 2011

Coca-Cola - it's everywhere you want to be


 Visa's slogan might be "it's everywhere you want to be," but let me tell you, Visa has not quite yet reached the roadside shops where I buy things here in Musoma!  There are no Burger Kings or McDonalds in the entire country of Tanzania, and Wal-Mart hasn't opened yet around here, but you know what is everywhere I've ever been in the world?  Coca-Cola.  I've done a fair bit of traveling around the planet and there's only one thing I've seen everywhere I've ever been - Coke.  I heard (from someone somewhere - this might be a rumor) that the guy who invented Coca-Cola wanted anyone, no matter where in the world they were, to be able to get a Coke to drink if they wanted one.  I think he succeeded!

Sodas are pretty important in Tanzanian culture.  No gathering is complete without sodas being offered to all!  At events with special guests, the way to show that they are special is to give them two sodas (or even three if they are very honored) instead of the usual one.  I never drank much soda before coming to Tanzania, but it's become a fairly regular part of life here because it's rude to turn one down when it's offered.  And since it's not safe to drink the water, bottled soda is a very good option for what to drink when out and about.

We have some interesting kinds of soda here that aren't available in the States.  From left to right in the picture: Sparletta Stoney Tangawizi (Sparletta is a brand made by Coca-Cola) is a very strong ginger drink.  Take small sips and drink at your own risk!  I love it, but it isn't for everyone.

Fanta Pineapple is part of what I like to call the "Fanta Family", a Coca-Cola branch of fruity sodas.  There are lots of flavors, some better than others: blackcurrant, passion, pine nut, pineapple, and orange.  Orange is the most popular and it is second only to Coke itself in the places I've been in Africa.  Andrew likes pineapple, and passion is my favorite.

Krest Bitter Lemon is, you guessed it, a soda made by Coca-Cola.  Krest drinks are only 300ml and most sodas here are 350ml, but they cost the same amount.  I guess Krest is Coke's high end drink line or something.  Anyway, bitter lemon is kind of like bitter fizzy lemonade.  It actually has a tiny bit of quinine in it, which is what gives it a distinctive sharp flavor.  Kind of like the ginger drink, bitter lemon is not for everyone, but is beloved by some.

Fanta Passion is the fourth soda in line.

Coca-Cola the king of sodas is last in line.  It tastes a wee bit different here because it's made with a different kind of sugar than in the States and it's in a bottle instead of a can (I honestly think this makes a difference).  I think it's better - I am not a big Coke fan, but I like the East African version better than the US kind.

Other kinds available in town but not pictured: Sprite (the third most popular drink after Coke and Fanta Orange), Sparletta Citrus, the other Fanta flavors, Coke Light, Krest Ginger Ale, Krest Tonic Water, Krest Soda Water, Pepsi, and very rarely 7-Up and Mountain Dew.

So come on out to visit us and we'll share some bottles of soda with you!  And maybe like me, you'll be someone who called it pop previously in life and you'll change.  I never said "soda" in my life till coming here, but since the Swahili word is "soda" and it's just what everyone says, I got in the habit.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE Krest Bitter Lemon!!! There's just no equivalent... =) Miss that from East Africa... along with many, many, many, many, many other things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum!!! these look way better than "ambiguous bright colored artificially flavored 1%-juice-drink beverage" native to St Louis gatherings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to correct you here. Coca-cola has not reached inside rural DRCongo. I can understand why... There are a few merchants near the Ugandan border who truck it across, but only the plain Coke variety. I have a weakness for Fanta Passion...

    Living in Congo was the first time living without Coke around! Once we have better roads, it will, of course, come right in... it's used in lots of medicinal 'cures'. Not quite everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You heard that comment about Coke being all over the world when we visited the fabulous Coke museum when you went to Nationals in Atlanta about ten years ago. It was a great trip! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the krest soda wish we could get it here in Arizona !

    ReplyDelete