Monday, May 24, 2010

Zadok


This is Zadok Mwakalasya, age one week. He's a pretty special kid for me and Andrew, because we're going to be the ones to officially name him at his baptism!

His father, Eliud, is a good friend at work. He and I started working in the Musoma office the same day way back in January 2007, and he's a cool guy. He got married last May, and this May, he and his very sweet and pretty wife Jenny welcomed Zadok into their wee family.

To go back in time a few months, one day I asked Eliud what they were going to name the baby. He answered, "Joy, if she's a girl." I asked, "Well, what if it's a boy?" He said, "I have no idea." That, of course, prompted the answer, "How about Zadok?" from me.

Now, you might be wondering why I put "of course" in there. Well, to go back a few more months, one day my dad showed up at breakfast (this was when we were still in the States) and said, "Do you know who the only good priest was in the Bible? I mean, good all the way from beginning to end? Zadok! And who has ever heard of him or names their kid after him? Nobody!" And thus he began a campaign to urge expectant parents to name their boys Zadok. No Americans took him up on his great idea, but a couple in Tanzania sure thought it was a great idea!

I'll post more when we actually go to the baptism and do the official naming!

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I can see the name Zadok working in Tanzania. Out of curiosity, how do they actually say it?

    Super-sweet picture of the little guy. Please tell Eliud and Jenny congratulations from us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've finally exempted us from naming a boy Zadok if we ever have a boy... which is a good thing for the poor kid. Zadok Vikesland, can you imagine??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Thank you for sharing it :D I'll pray that little Zadok will follow the Lord as the other Zadok did. Blessings for his family from me too!

    ReplyDelete