Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Pikipiki, bodaboda, motorcycle, whatever it's called!


In Tanzania, it's called a pikipiki. In Uganda, it's called a bodaboda. In the US, I'm pretty sure it's called a motorcycle. But whatever the name, I like to call it terrifying! The only reason I'm smiling in this picture is because we're at the end of the trip and I'm still alive.

Much to my surprise, when I was in Uganda, we had to rely on bodabodas for transportation some of the time. I've been in Tanzania for four years and haven't been on a pikipiki yet, but I went to Uganda for one week and found myself on one FIVE times in just one week!

Here are a few hints for what helped me:
-Reciting the Apostle's Creed is a good distraction from the reality at hand.
-Convincing myself that my driver is an excellent, superb, well-practiced driver at least made me feel better, whether it was true or not.
-Hanging onto the bar on the back gives a sense of security.
-Wearing capris is easier than wearing a skirt (although 4/5 of my trips were in skirts).
-Skinny drivers leave you more room on the seat.
-Dirt roads are better than paved ones, because the thought of falling is less horrifying.
-Slower is generally better than faster, except it makes the trip longer.
-If you look at the scenery and remind yourself that you can appreciate it better on a bodaboda than when in a car, it greatly improves the experience.
-Wearing sunglasses so you don't get bugs in your eyes is highly recommended.
-Remind yourself that at least it'll make a good blog post!

3 comments:

  1. Andrew and Michelle - what a great story and an awesome adventure. I just found your blog and applaud your courage and appetite to go for it!

    I'm a Sandeen too but have no idea if we are related or not. I'll continue to read your blog and follow your travels.

    ~ Aaron Sandeen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aaron. Very interesting. It's nice to hear from you, whether we're related or not. If it helps, my grandfather was named Carlton and lived in Grants Pass, OR. His brothers are Don (MN) and Rolly (CA).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stem from my grandparents Winston and Martha in MN. You never know.

    ReplyDelete