Friday, May 27, 2011

Serengeti Safari






There are lots of animals in the Serengeti in addition to wildebeest, zebras, and cheetahs. We did posts on those animals just because they were so very cool, but elephants, impala, hartebeest, tawny eagles, and lots of other kinds of animals are pretty amazing, too. We saw lions lolling around on rocks, cheetah drinking out of ponds, giant cape buffalo getting their noses picked by oxpecker birds, and some cool birds with shockingly bright colors perched in thorn bushes. The whole two-day trip was just filled with beautiful landscapes that changed regularly (different kinds of trees in different areas, etc.) and incredible animals. We live a mere 1.5 hours from the entrance to this world heritage site and had never been before, so it was pretty exciting.

Our totals were:
A lone leopard
6 cheetahs
11 or 13 (i.e. "lots of") lions (we think two we saw were two of the same ones we'd seen the day before)
100+ elephants
Heaps of hippos
Clumps of crocs
Groups of giraffes
Bunches of buffalo
A bazillion birds
A zillion zebra
A gazillion gazelles
A worldful of wildebeest

1 comment:

  1. Hey Andrew and Michelle!

    My name is Kenedy. I go to the same church as Ericka Diaz and she told me about your project here. I am doing volunteer work near Arusha in a hospital for 3 months. I have really enjoyed reading your blog and hearing about your experience and the project you are doing here in Tanzania! It sounds amazing, and is very encouraging to hear about. If you want to hear more about me and my experience so far my blog is kenedyhart.blogspot.com

    God bless, and I will be praying for you!
    Kenedy

    ReplyDelete