Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Fridge-dried gecko


This little dude made a wrong turn one day and scampered right into our refrigerator. Unfortunately for him, we didn't notice. Somehow he ended up on the shelf where I usually keep cilantro, and I, not looking very closely, mistook him for a little cilantro sprig that fell off the bunch.

After a few weeks, I got tired of having a messy cilantro-shelf in the fridge door and took it upon myself to clean up the fallen sprig. Lo and behold, I realized it was a gecko! Not quite freeze-dried, but fridge-dried. Apparently geckos do not survive when trapped in the refrigerator.

Andrew took this picture of him, and then dropped his crunchy carcass on the kitchen floor for Betsy (cat) to consume. She's more used to the fresh and wriggling variety of gecko, but cheerfully consumed this one after a bit of sniffing. Maybe it's like astronaut food for cats - shrunken, aged, and dried, but still food.

No comments:

Post a Comment