Tuesday, July 19, 2011

New House

We're pretty excited about our new house! We've now spent eight nights there and it's starting to feel like home. I think yesterday was our first normal (not unpacking or packing) evening and this morning we were actually in a bit of a routine for getting ready for work. After the craziness of moving and almost immediately going to Kenya for ten days, we're mighty thrilled to have some normal routine in our lives.

One interesting thing that came about because we moved and then left right away was that when I was unpacking after our Kenya trip, I couldn't remember where to put things. Like, I took my lotion out of the suitcase and then stood in the middle of the bedroom looking at various cabinets and wondering where on earth I had decided to store lotion when I'd unpacked our boxes to set up the house two weeks earlier. I hadn't exactly had time to use any lotion before packing it again! I did figure it out, though, eventually (and random other things that also had me stumped for location).



This is the sideyard and backyard of our house. In the newsletter you all saw some pictures, so in this post I'm putting up different ones. There is lots of space for Andrew to exercise his gardening skills! Neither of us are under any delusions that I have any gardening skills, so the outdoor area is all his. I told him that if he'll grow it, I'll cook it. My skills are more in the cutting up plants area of life with a knife and cutting board, not in the tenderly nurturing little plants area of life.


This is our bedroom, which is huge. I think someday we'll put a desk and bookshelf down here and make a little home office for me. In the meantime, we're enjoying the luxury of empty space. We have a bathroom (with a toilet that has a LOUD flush! No sneaking into the bathroom to quietly go potty at night with that thing!) off our bedroom, which is the open door in this picture. Having a three-bedroom, two-bathroom house is pretty exciting!



This is the kitchen. Yeah, it has two sinks. It also has extremely low counters and is kind of long and thin. It has cupboards, though, which is a nice treat that one doesn't find in most Tanzanian houses! I'm still figuring out where the best place is for various things. I think the more I cook, the more I'll have a feel for where I want stuff.


This is our back porch. Someday we'd like to have some comfy chairs and a coffee table down there. Right now, though, there is a very big hole in one of the screens that needs to be fixed before we're intersted in spending time there! I am not going to volunteer myself to be mosquito fodder.

No comments:

Post a Comment