Sunday, July 24, 2011

Rice Packaging


While we were in Nairobi, we bought a bag of jasmine rice from Thailand. In Musoma we can get Tanzanian rice and basmati rice imported from Pakistan and/or India, but Thai jasmine rice is a treat for us.

Today I opened the bag and was reading the back of the bag, which was rather amusing in its use of English (as anyone who has a read an instruction manual for a device manufactured in China can imagine). Then when I got to the part about cooking directions, it ceased to be simply amusing and became quite confusing. As you can see in this picture, the amount of water to add to the rice apparently depends on what month it is! What on earth?! I can only hypothesize that it is really humid sometimes in Thailand and so the water in the air makes it so you need less water added to the rice to cook it. But then, I ask myself, why is the package printed in English, not in Thai, if it was intended for cooking in Thailand? No clue. I couldn't help but take a picture so you all could laugh along with me. Let me know if you know why the rice/water ratio depends on the month, as I'm quite curious!

2 comments:

  1. Rice packaging is very important.Rice should be packed in suitable manner so that they are not damaged or infected by environmental changes.For this reason packaging should be done in a careful manner.One should use best packaging material.
    wrapping machine

    ReplyDelete