Saturday, August 27, 2011

Dinosaur in the yard!



Well, not quite a dinosaur, but a monitor lizard. They look kind of like dinosaurs, though! This little fellow visited us the other day and sunned himself in our front yard for a while. A bit to our surprise, Clive didn't seem to mind too much. They cheerfully co-habitated in the sunshine. Clive watched him a bit, but didn't bother moving or anything.

Some monitor lizards we've seen here are nearly six feet long, but I'd guess this one was about two feet (not including the tail, which is another two feet). They whip their tails around to kill their prey. They are a bit creepy looking if one is afraid of snakes or crocodiles (or dinosaurs...), since they look a bit similar. They have long, darting tongues that scare me a bit. But so long as they stay well away from me, I'll take the Clive route and give them their space, but not let them bother me.

1 comment:

  1. We watched Jurassic Park last week, so this blog post definitely caught my eye... so thankful you don't have to worry about having a T-Rex in your yard, though! Hope all is well in Musoma other than the "dinosaur" sighting. :) --Jeana

    ReplyDelete