Thursday, January 5, 2012

Long time no post

Well, I apologize for the long delay in blog posts!  We have had some issues with the internet over here...

On December 19th at approximately 11:00am, the internet line was cut.  All landline phones and broadband internet went out.  At the same time, a water pipe was also cut and the water to a large section of town also went out.  There was road work to build a new bridge going on and a backhoe was digging away in a large hole.  As soon as it happened upon the phone line and the water pipe, and that was the end of that.  As soon as the water pipe was cut, it immediately flooded the giant hole in which the backhoe was working.  There was a huge mound of loose dirt around the backhoe and it turned into thick black mud and water.  As you might imagine, the backhoe didn't make it out of that hole for several days!  A brigade of local people with buckets scooped it out by hand.

The water was restored after four days and the internet to part of town was fixed six days later, on Christmas afternoon.  We were excited that we were able to call our families on Christmas - it was a very nice Christmas surprise to get it back!  After a week with no internet at home or at the office, we were feeling rather desperate!

One small part of town still has no internet, however, and our office is located there.  It is very frustrating (and difficult to get work done) without any internet.  The company keeps telling us it will be fixed tomorrow.  Many tomorrows have come and gone, but still no internet.  Unfortunately, all phone and internet is prepaid over here, and the way it works at the office is that we pay for a period of time (the internet at our office goes in 4-week payment cycles), not by usage, so we can't exactly threaten the company or withhold our money from them.  It's very frustrating!  Also, since they are the only company, we can't threaten to drop them and go with a different internet option, either.  We just hope that they'll fix it soon.

So in the meantime, I will do my best to do some blog posts from home and start updating y'all again!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Misha and Andrew,

    I am Tanzanian living in London, England and I must say, I absolutely enjoyed reading your blog. I feel home sick now and wish I could be home with my family in Zanzibar. I soooo miss the food. Good thing i have a sister who can cook ugali, chapati and maandazi for me whenever i visit lol :) bless her.

    I especially enjoyed your 'Africa is a Continent' blog as I too have met so many people who refer or think Africa is one country and it just annoys me to no end, so thank you for setting people straight. Don't feel too bad about your comment to the girl on Facebook, some people just need 'tough love' :)

    Congratulations on your pregnancy!! Wishing you all the very best.

    I will continue reading your blogs so I can feel closer to home. Take care and God bless.

    xx
    Homesick Nelsea

    ReplyDelete