Monday, February 25, 2013

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet


A friend recently recommended this book on Facebook, and so I thought I'd give it a try after all.  I'd read reviews of it before on Amazon and hadn't been convinced it was worth buying, and repeatedly passed it over.  Having recently discovered that it is possible to get library books on my Kindle, I decided to go the library route for this one so I wouldn't have to pay for it in case my initial inclinations proved to be right, despite my friend's recommendation.

"Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" turned out to be one of the best books I've read in quite some time!  I thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommend it.  I read for the sake of entertainment and relaxation during the few scraps of free time I've got these days, and I generally prefer happy books because who wants to be miserable during their much-anticipated down time in the evenings?  I wasn't sure if this one would prove to fit that description or not, but as the title says, bitter and sweet can intersect.  It was a nice blend of the two - enough bitter to keep it interesting and realistic, and enough sweet to make it a pleasant read.  This book is set in Seattle during WWII and is about a Chinese-American boy and his relationships with his son, his parents, the sax player on the corner, a Japanese girl, and the white kids at his school.  It's a coming-of-age book with great character development and a wonderful array of likable characters.

Try it, you'll like it!

1 comment:

  1. My friend sent that to me before we left on furlough and I devoured it.

    I agree..It's a great read!

    ReplyDelete