Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Sheep!

I can recite this entire book, I kid you not. It's actually a very handy skill, because when I'm washing dishes or doing something that has both my hands and eyes occupied, yet Zarya wants me to read her a book, I tell her to go get a sheep book. She brings in "Sheep in a Shop," or "Sheep in a Jeep," and flips through the pages while I tell her the words. She either hasn't figured out that I'm not actually reading it, or she doesn't care. Or maybe she knows it and thinks it's cool that her mama can read without looking at the words.

We also own "Sheep Take a Hike," which contains some great lines like these:
Sheep squeeze through the trees.
Sheep rush through underbrush.
Thorns dig. Prickers snag.
Sheep zig. Sheep zag.

If you're looking for some short, fun, rhyming books, you know, the kind that force you to read in a dramatic sing-song and actually read every word on the pages, check out Nancy Shaw and Margot Apple's sheep book. Normally I just make up words to go with the pictures in Zarya's books, but these ones are well-worth actually reading. And memorizing, apparently.

Beep beep! Sheep in a jeep on a hill that's steep...

No comments:

Post a Comment