Sunday, November 29, 2015

Pandemic Board Game

I had heard of cooperative board games but didn't really understand what that meant until I actually played one. The concept of all players being on one team so that everyone was working together and all would win or all would lose as one seemed rather cheesy. I mean, let's all be honest, what's the fun in not getting to beat anybody else? It sounded like a modern twist on the old Ungame (board game in which you talk about your feelings and there is no winner or loser).

Well, let me tell you, there is a lot of fun to be had in Pandemic! Sara and Julie, two friends from Hope College were here visiting over the weekend, and Julie brought the game with her. We played six rounds of it all in one day, just because it was very fun, and we were determined to win. Finally, on the sixth round we got it. I think if we won too easily, it wouldn't be as much fun, since in a game with four players, you should only win about 1/4 of the time (I know, I know, that's not how it really works, but if all players were equal and luck distributed evenly, that's how it should pan out). Having a cooperative game that is a true challenge made us all put our heads together and try to plan moves out for each player in advance in hopes that we might win. Guess what? It was really fun!

Should you be interested in aforementioned game, it appears that the cheapest place to buy it is on Amazon: Pandemic on Amazon

I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment