Thursday, October 25, 2012

Does this church make me look fat?


For those who can't read the mini print on the picture of the book cover above, it says: "Does This Church Make Me Look Fat?  A Mennonite Finds Faith, Meets Mr. Right, and Solves Her Lady Problems."  This is Rhoda Janzen's latest book and since I recommended her first book, "Mennonite in a Little Black Dress", to you all a year or two ago, I thought it fitting that I post about this, her second book.

It was with some trepidation that I recommended "Mennonite in a Little Black Dress", because sometimes people think missionaries stick to reading extremely wholesome books and that one didn't quite meet G-rated standards.  However, it was well-written, hilarious, and a good story, so I went ahead and posted about it on this blog.  But now, with "Does This Church Make Me Look Fat?", I feel just fine telling you all that it's a good read and that I recommend it.  Due to some giant life and faith changes in the author's life between the two books, you'll find this second book to be quite different in language (i.e. cleaner) and tone (this one is about her growing in active faith).

What makes this book special to me is that I personally know the author and greatly respect her as a person and passionate believer.  In addition, she's a fabulous writer who can make you laugh aloud while reading about cancer and admire her perspective about how faith must permeate every aspect of life.  This is a fun and thoughtful memoir and I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment