Friday, December 6, 2013

Masatu wedding

George Masatu and Amanda Swift got married on November 30, and it was one fun party!  I was honored to be the "besty" - matron of honor/bridesmaid/attendant/witness for the occasion.  It involved a lot of smiling, standing, sweating, eating, waiting, dress-carrying, and even some kneeling.  I thoroughly enjoyed being part of the festivities.  I played a tiny role in getting George and Amanda together, so feel very successful as a matchmaker now - only twice (that I remember... but successes are easier to remember than failures) have I tried to set folks up, and twice they've ended up getting married.

This is me and the bride standing at the back of the church, waiting for the wedding march to begin for us to start going down the aisle (we walked in side-by-side - the bride's family is at the front of the church during the wedding, but don't parade down the aisle in TZ weddings).  I was very surprised by how so many people crowed up right behind and and were actually pushing against us, stepping on the back of the bride's dress and squeezing in between us at times, trying to see into the church.  I mean, like, hang on folks, this is the bride you're shoving!



Amanda's parents and family attended the wedding via Skype at about 1:00am their time.  Helping them attend was the gift of a few fellow missionaries who held this computer up, carrying it and applicable cords and antennae around for the entire wedding and reception.


Rings!  I like how they hold the hands and rings up while putting them on at weddings and engagements here - it's a big deal, so why not act like it?


Gift-giving is a big part of the reception.  People come up in groups (this is the choir that sang at the wedding, thus they are dressed alike) and gift group gifts, for the most part.  If a large piece of cloth is part of their gift (and many were), they are draped around the bride and groom.  I think there is some humorous significance to wrapping the wedding couple up in sheets at the front of the reception hall, but it being a very proper wedding, no overt jokes were made (as is I think more normal at some types of receptions).  But everyone had a good time, and I think dancing your unwrapped gift up to the front of the hall with everyone watching has a few fun points to it, although I don't think the idea will take off at American weddings.

We wish the Masatus all the best in their new marriage!



No comments:

Post a Comment