Wednesday, December 11, 2013

What to do if you think you might be ill and you're in Musoma

This is a post without pictures, because, trust me, you don't want pictures on this one.

Well, who can resist a cute Zarya picture?  So here you go, a not-really-related-to-this-post picture:


Anyway, so I thought y'all might like to know what we do around here when we suspect we might be ill. Unfortunately, I've got two recent examples.

The first took place several weeks ago.  I had been feeling uncomfortable in my interior regions all day, gradually getting worse.  That night, I spent a fair amount of time in a room other than the one where my bed was, if you know what I mean.  Unfortunately, we were scheduled to go on a trip, leaving early the next morning.  I was acutely miserable and was 99% sure of what was ailing my guts - amoeba.  And so, not having time to do anything else before leaving town, and anticipating a four-hour-long trip with no rest stops possible (well, possible - there were bushes), I went online.  Who needs a doctor or pharmacist when you have the internet?  I found out which amoeba medicine is okay to take when nursing, and then on our way out of town, we stopped at a pharmacy on our way out of town and picked up my drugs.  They cost about two dollars.

The other example is from yesterday.  Zarya had been showing some signs of perhaps being sick, but I wasn't sure if she really was, or what it was.  All I knew is that what I was finding in her diaper looked a little different than normal.  (I told you this post was better without pictures!)  So, I got a toothpick and scooped out some evidence and put it in a plastic bag, strapped Zarya into her carrier, and changed into my outdoor flip-flops.  Then she and I went off on a three-minute walk to the other side of the compound where we live, where there is a little medical clinic.  We carried her sample to the young man who runs the laboratory, who looked at it under his microscope.  He told me that he didn't find anything out of the ordinary in it, so we paid our thirty cent fee and walked home again.  At this point, I am not sure if she's sick or not.  Maybe it's the kind of sickness where you need to do a test other than looking at poo under a microscope, or maybe the young man just missed it.  Or maybe she's perfectly healthy and just ate too much fruit.  I guess we'll see how she does over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment