Friday, October 3, 2014

What I miss... what I don't miss

Passion fruit in my backyard

Beautiful views of Lake Victoria

Fresh tilapia and chips
Are there things I miss about life in Tanzania? Most definitely! Are there things I am happy to have left behind? Of course! I was happy to be there, and I'm also happy to be here in Pennsylvania. There are a lot of perks in both places, and I have found that I really like both locations.

What I miss:
-Fresh, cheap tropical fruit
-Cheap phone plans
-Interaction with the translators
-Missionary women's Bible study
-Being near a large body of water
-Never wondering what the weather will be
-Not having to have seasonal clothes (see point above...)
-Fresh fish caught within sight of where you're eating it
-Ease of obtaining drugs (j/k... I mean not having to get a prescription to buy medicine)
And I could keep on going, but those are the ones that are coming to mind right now.

What I don't miss:
-Mosquitoes, snakes, lizards, cockroaches, millipedes, ants, etc. in my house
-Sweating year-round
-Dust
-Shopping, working, interacting with officials, and going to church in Swahili
-Being a day's drive from the nearest reliable hospital
-Errands like getting a driver's license renewed taking all day
-Being the center of attention all the time
-Power outages, water outages, internet outages
-Stores running out of basic things and not knowing when they'll have them again
-Having to decide whom to help and whom to deny, seemingly constantly
And I could keep on going here, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment