Saturday, September 6, 2014

Garden Bread Recipe


It seems every time I make a Facebook post involving food, at least a few people request the recipe. And since I just wrote about baking in my new kitchen for the first time and included the detail that I made carrot/zucchini spice bread, I thought I'd better put the recipe here so I'm ready for those requests!

It's actually a recipe I call Garden Bread. As with everything I make, I use recipes as suggestions and vary them a bit every time. But this is what I generally start with as a base for my variations:

4 cups grated zucchini and carrots (whatever percentage of each you want)
2 1/2 cups sugar (sometimes I use part brown and part white, sometimes all white)
1 1/2 cups oil
4 eggs
1 Tbls vanilla
6 cups flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 Tbls cinnamon

Variations: Add 1/2 cup of cocoa, add chocolate chips, or add cloves/allspice/nutmeg (I just shake in a bit of each).

Mix wet ingredients and dry ingredients, then combine the two. Pour into three or four (depending on if you prefer bigger or smaller loaves) greased loaf pans or three dozen greased muffin tins or some combination thereof. Bake at 350 - generally it takes at least 50 minutes for loaves, and 20-something minutes for muffins.

And if you think it sounds ridiculous to make that much at once and your freezer doesn't have space for loaves to lounge around, just halve the recipe and you'll have a more reasonable amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment